June is Foot Health Month, so here are 10 Top Tips to help prevent foot problems. Just follow our simple steps to help to keep your feet in great shape and reduce your risk of developing problems.
1. Wash your feet every day, use warm soapy water and take care to dry them well, especially between your toes – this will help to prevent fungal infections, such as Athlete’s foot.
2. Wear well-fitting socks and change them every day to avoid sweaty feet.
3. When trimming your toenails cut them straight across and not too short as this can lead to ingrowing toenails.
4. If the skin on your feet is dry, apply moisturiser daily avoiding between the toes (this can lead to fungal infections).
5. Wear correctly fitting shoes, buy footwear in the afternoon when your feet are at their largest. Get your feet measured if you are unsure of your size.
6. Rotate your shoes Try not to wear the same shoes two days in a row, to reduce your chances of developing a fungal infection.
7. Save higher heels for special occasions only as regular use can damage your feet.
8. Check your feet regularly this will help you to spot any possible problems quickly, if you have difficulty bending use a mirror to help.
9. Keep them moving, walking and exercise will encourage a good range of movement in the joints and improve circulation.
10. If you have a problem with your feet always see a HCPC registered Podiatrist rather than trying to self treat at home.